Friday, October 8, 2010

Halloween Tree

EDT's Count Down To Halloween!
This little gem is brought to you by the reigning empress of shadow boxes herself, Nacreous Alchemy. Hers is an amazing little web store filled with all kinds of delectable goodies to tempt you. My favorite item she makes has to be her Cemetery Tableau Box . Today she is kind enough to share her talent with all of you. Please enjoy her journey in making a Halloween tree.


Even though I’m a huge fan of Halloween décor I’ve never created a Halloween tree. I was inspired this year to try my hand at it. The fun thing about this project is it can be as simple or as intricate as you want to make it. I kept mine on the sleek and simple side.

To start I bought a bare branch with a few leaves at the craft store and then I went out into the yard and gathered some real branches to mix in. I left them their natural color but if you really want to go all goth you could paint them black. I bought a small glass vase to hold the tree and to keep it in place I found a bag of glass stones mixed with ghosts and bats. If you can’t find the stones a mix of black and orange sand would also look great. For decoration I just gathered up small items I had around the house and picked up a few inexpensive items from the Halloween bins.

I filled the vase with the glass pieces and arranged the branches. And then the fun part I used rubber rats, skeletons, and spiders as well as styrofoam eyeballs and spider webbing. The nice thing about the styrofoam eyeballs they just stick right on the ends of the branch for an eerie alien plant look. I hung the skeleton and one of the rats with some thin twine and draped the spider webs around the branches and filled in with a few spiders and remaining rat. As the last touch I tied some Halloween ribbon around the vase. Once it’s finished you have a great center piece for a Halloween table or you can make a set to flank a fireplace. Let your creativity run wild and have fun with it!

Nacreous Alchemy features gothic art, shadow boxes and home décor. You can find anything from Victorian Gothic, dark fairy tale, classic horror, and understated dark elegance to add that perfect touch of shimmery darkness to any surroundings.

Find Nacreous Alchemy online at:
Web Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/NacreousAlchemy
Face Book: www.facebook.com/NacreousAlchemy
Blog: http://nacreousalchemy.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

The Mighty Squirm said...

I love the images in this post, and the idea of decorating a tree as if Halloween were its own kind of Christmas. (It IS a kind of Christmas in our family.) I also love the novel "The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury!