Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Shop of the Week: SugarSkullShoppe.etsy.com

At the tender age of three, my Mom framed my first piece of artwork, and swore I’d grow up to be an artist. Although my life path has taken me in many directions, I feel a constant pull toward the creative process. I am happiest when I am being creative, and producing things that have my unique outlook on life and experiences woven into them.
The inspiration for my current work stems from the Mexican celebration El Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead which occurs every year starting on October 31 and ending November 2, Sugar skulls are one of the most widely recognized symbols of this colorful celebration.
I love the mocking floral eyes of sugar skulls, and the colorful way they are decorated as though they are laughing at death.
Though traditionally, sugar skulls are made out of well, sugar…each of my Calaveras begins as a simple piece of clay. And in some cases hours later, become these little colorful treasures. I hope that you wear them in honor of someone you love.

♦♦♦♦    ♦♦♦♦    ♦♦♦♦    ♦♦♦♦

Etsy
Buy Handmade
SugarSkullShoppe

1 comment:

Illustrated Ink said...

Love the colors on these sugar skulls!