Monday, December 6, 2010

They call him... Mr. Cthulhu


I'm so excited !!! A few months ago I started a series of silhouette paintings. I decided to take my favorite characters from literature then transform them into silhouettes with a little Steampunk twist. So far on my drawing board I have Alice, Cheshire Cat, Colonel Brandon, and a few others. But today I finished my first and favorite... Mr. Cthulhu! It took me at least a month to get the wings just the way I wanted them. He is dressed as a distinguished Victorian gentleman with top hat, and high collard coat. Setting off his tattered wings, and undulating tentacles nicely. He is lovely hand painted on canvas paper with accents painstakingly detailed in India ink. I then accentuated parts of him with a color of green that I image Cthulhu to be. After the painting was all finished I mounted it on a large ornate wooden plaque, and placed my favorite quote about him on the back to honor his creator H.P. Lovecraft. I am so happy with it. It came out just the way I imagined it in my mind. Very dapper, yet retaining all his monstrous appeal with his alien eye gazing steely upon you till you submit to his horrific will.

1 comment:

Kaleidoskopic Romance said...

Absolutely beautiful, terrifying and Victorian!
My admiration for the Cthulhu myths grows bigger every day :)